Misterious Xorg 6.8.1 keyboard problem

Anton Markov anton at truxtar.com
Wed Nov 10 14:14:46 PST 2004

Sergei Mutovkin wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 17:53:09 -0500, Anton Markov <anton at truxtar.com> wrote:
>
>>Hmm, I've had similar problems when using the framebuffer device with
>>DRM drivers. It seems like the framebuffer is displaying the content of
>>the video memory, without actually updating it. That would explain the
>>"screenshot" effect.
>>
>>I am currently seeing this when running xcompmgr and switching to
>>another VT. However, switching back to the X server's VT allows me to
>>keep working, but I can't switch to a text-based console.
>>
>>Anyone else have any idea why these problems happen?
>>
>>--
>>Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>
>

> What I have here is:
> - TimeSys Linux 2.4.18 with bootsplash.org patch to allow for progress
> bar to be displayed
> - Xorg 6.8.1 (vesa driver)
> - Framebuffer @ vga=791 (vesa)
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/1 9600
> 2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/2 9600
> 3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/3 9600
> 4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/4 9600
> 5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/5 9600
> 6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty vc/6 9600
> x:5:once:/etc/init.d/XServer start
>
> I can do, Ctrl-Alt-F{2,3,4,5,6}, however once Ctrl-Alt-F1 is pressed
> my system no longer responds to keyboard. However, I know that if I
> boot with vanila 2.4.25 Ctrl-Alt-F1 displays uncleared boot splash
> screen ("Enter" clears it and system login is visible). So terminal is
> locked once tty1 is switched on...
>
> Sergei

That is almost exactly the problem I was having, but I never did find a
solution for it. In my case the computer did not lock up, but VT1 was
unusable. I am wondering if using an fbdev-based driver (i.e. radeonfb,
or whatever) would solve the problem by getting the drivers to
cooperate. For now I am using plain VGA console :(.

There are way too many different drivers for everything; I am glad there
is work happening on unifying the fb stuff.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***