Xgl server

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Mon Nov 8 14:41:12 PST 2004

Quoting Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com>:

> On Mon,  8 Nov 2004 21:43:55 +0100, c99drn at cs.umu.se <c99drn at cs.umu.se>
> wrote:
> > Cairo's glitz backend can't provide the same quality as the xlib/xcb
> backends
> > right now, but that should be made possible in the future, and it's of
> course
> > required if we'd like applications to switch to glitz when DRI is
> available.
>
> As you talking about glitz in general or glitz on opensource DRI? ATI
> and NVidia proprietary drviers have most of OpenGL implemented while
> DRI doesn't.
>
> Why does Cairo->glitz->OpenGL have quality issues and
> Cairo->xlib->XGL-OpenGL not have them?

Glitz doesn't have any quality issues. Glitz can do trapezoids or any other type
of geometric primitives in different ways. Cairo's glitz backend is using the
fastest way and this doesn't produce trapezoids with anti-aliasing quality
matching the requirements of RENDER. XGL is currently rasterizing trapezoids in
software and then sending masks to hardware for compositing. This produces
trapezoids with anti-aliasing quality that match RENDER. Glitz can possibly
produce trapezoids with RENDER quality without using software rasterizing (ADD
traps to pbuffer, pbuffer as mask to composite). This is how XGL will do
trapezoids in the future but I'm not sure it will be much more efficient than
software rasterizing until we get a good render-to-texture extension in OpenGL.
Nevertheless, it will never be as fast as the way cairo's glitz backend is
currently doing trapezoids.

-David