X configuration paradigm, and a proposal

Avi Alkalay avibrazil at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 05:34:38 PST 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:19:22 +0000, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Xorg comes with a library for using the xorg.conf file that can be used
> by other applications.

Yes, under the xc/programs/Xserver/.../parser folder.
But this lib can read and re-generate only xorg.conf files. On the
re-generate side, if you want to change only your screen resolution,
you'll have to regenerate the entire config file.

Also, this lib is only related to X, and strictly converts the text
into X.org internal structures. In addition, it is completely
dependent on X code infrastructure and build system, which makes it
virtually impossible to export it to other independent apps.

I still think X needs a more independent way to be integratable with
other software through its configuration. It will make independent
driver installation and management way easier. Because the
configuration paradigm we have today (human-readable text
configuration file) is too monolitic.

Regards,
Avi