X configuration paradigm, and a proposal

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Mon Nov 8 05:45:51 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:21:34PM +0100, Diego Calleja wrote:

> xorg currently supports autoconfiguration, you could tweak your scripts,
> so if xorg startup fails you can relaunch xorg with the autoconfiguration
> parameter, save the configuration file and relaunch X again. Of course
> Xorg don't detects all the hardware, the configuration file could
> (should?) be generated by a mix of hardware detectors + kernel (sysfs).
>
> In fact, in my opinion this is how it should be done: no configuration
> file needed, _always_ detect everything at runtime.

It have found out Xorg generally detects everything (screen resolutions,
frequencies, etc...) fine.
Without a fairly complete configuration file it then proceeds to shoot
itself in the foot by using completely different values for the final
hardware setup.

This is particularly true with the LCD monitors I have tested: without a
"Modes" line, the final resolution is set to 1600x1200 even though the
preferred screen resolution is correctly detected to be 1280x1024x60Hz and
none of the other resolutions are bigger than this.

--
Francois Tigeot