Frame buffer drivers for ATI Rage Mobility P/M

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:36:30 PST 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:26:41 +0200, David Harel
<hareldvd at ergolight-sw.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am desperate now. I was suggested to try the command - glxgears -
> which tells you the power of your graphics acceleration is. I was also
> told I should expect a value of about 1000 otherwise I do not use the
> graphics acceleration capabilities.
> I got 105.
> I installed ATI-drivers.
> When I do: fglrxinfo - I get:
> display: :0.0  screen: 0
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)
>
> I tried several drivers in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. The one that works best
> is "ati" but it realy is too slow. I know I get much better performance
> from this card when using Microsoft stuff.
>
> Please help me set my machine to enable graphics
> acceleration on this old timer card.
>
> My machine:
> HP omnibook 6000 PIII 700
> Gentoo fully updated.
> Kernel 2.4.26-gentoo-r9
> X11 with xorg.

ati's driver only support radeon 8500 and above chips.  Your chip is
mach64 based.  you need to remove the ati driers and install a mach64
DRI snapshot:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Download
Also I think 1000 fps is a bit much to ask from your card.  I'd expect
a couple hundred fps.

Alex