Broken make install [was Debugging X.org drivers?]

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Tue Nov 2 09:59:46 PST 2004

Vladimir Dergachev <volodya at mindspring.com> wrote:

> I don't think there is an easy way. If you make them immutable the install
> might fail outright.

True, if I was doing a full install from scratch. But I am always doing
an install over the top of my working installation for testing purposes
(I actually have every version of X between XFree86 4.0.2 and X.org 6.8.1
installed and I can switch between them all for testing ;-).

> The thing is that, IMO, RedHat should not be messing with these
> files in the first place.
>
> For example, Xsession (used by xdm) checks for existance of
> /etc/xprofile and source it then - whatever modifications RedHat
> felt it needed to make should be done there.

That is probably true, but I can't fix that ;-(.

> As for /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc - it looks like I have been
> wrong, it is not overwritten, in fact I can't find this file on my
> other computer.

The file is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. That file was replaced and putting it
back to the original setting did fix this problem.

The only remaining issues is that when I start the FC2 default X.org
server via startx I get a black background that KDE starts over, while
with my new install I get the cross hatch background that KDE starts
over. What file contols the root server background in the init scripts?

But the real issue is that I think the make install process is actually
broken in 6.8.1, unless I am missing something. Some more research showed
me that I have the following in my host.def file:

/*
 * Do not install any of the sample config files when doing 'make
install'.
 */
#define InstallXinitConfig	NO
#define InstallXdmConfig	NO
#define InstallFSConfig		NO
#define InstallAppDefFiles	NO

I recall now that is what I used in the past with XFree86 to stop it from
destroying my existing setup, but in this case it still blows away the
xinitrc file when it should not (InstallXinitConfig is supposed to
control this). Clearly the InstallXdmConfig option is working because my
xdm Xsession files were left unchanged and it works as it did before.

Does anyone know where in the makefiles the xinitrc file is copied from?
I would like to fix it so that the InstallXinitConfig option works again.

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~