Debugging X.org drivers?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Nov 1 15:59:53 PST 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 18:38, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> Will do, thanks! I am glad this will be working. How hard would it be to
> get it working in say 4.3.0 as well? We have some work we need to do in
> 4.3.0, and although we usually back port from R6.8.1, if we get bugs in
> 4.3.0 or other versions we are still stuck trying to debug them.

It's effectively an ABI bump, so you have to be willing to replace the core
modules (libxaa, etc) as well as update the drivers.  It's not too tough
though.  I might have to dig a bit to get all the relevant diffs together,
but the changes to the core (XAA and friends) were pretty straightforward and
ought to be easy to extract from CVS.

> Although we have also been working at getting the Open Watcom debugger to
> debug GCC generated binaries. I think that is about 95% complete right
> now, and when it is done I may end up using that debugger instead of GDB.
> It will run in a console with text windowing and everything! Plus I am
> pretty sure it will be easy to teach it how to debug X modules, since we
> taught it how to understand SNAP modules very easily.

If the OpenWatcom debugger can handle DSOs opened with dlopen(), then it
should have no trouble with the dlloader modules.

- ajax