Detecting screen disconnection

Mon Nov 1 11:02:53 PST 2004

Owen Taylor wrote:
> The non-Xinerama case is harder. The way I'd imagine it working is that
> the server always advertises the maximum number of screens; screens
> that aren't present act as /dev/null. There is some sort of way for
> clients to figure out:
>
>  - What screens are actually present
>  - When the set of actually present screens change

The 'dummy' driver (basically an loadable version of Xvfb) could be used
for screens not currently active.   I know Stuart Kreitman has been working
with the GNOME accessibility people to provide a way for them to determine
when a screen is virtual vs. physical, but I think they still assume a given
screen will be one or the other for the life of the server and not change
mid-stream.

(Our Sun Ray users would probably like to see this solved - right now it gets
  messy when you hotdesk between Sun Ray stations with different numbers of
  monitors.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com