code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Nov 1 10:12:50 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 17:06 +0100, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Where are your patches to help enhancing the situation?
>
> Complaining that X is not as good as xxx, for whatever xxx value,
> without providing useful help (read: *code*) to improve the situation,
> they are just wasting everybody's time.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that.  The Xorg project is the best thing
to happen to X in ages, and you have all done great work.  I was just
stating what I thought was a pretty widely accepted fact.  If you want
to point me at problem areas I would be glad to take a look...  Anyway I
do spend most of my time writing code, rather than complaining, on
projects I think will help close the gap.  We do have to acknowledge MS
and Apple are ahead in some areas, the faster we do this the sooner it
gets fixed.

Anyway I think that the X desktop _will_ be as snappy as XP soon, thanks
to the DRI work and other things, but it seems like it is being done
right rather than just blithely throwing the whole GUI into the kernel
like some people.

Lee