code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Nov 1 07:46:23 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:35 +0100, Roland Mainz wrote:
> That sounds more like that backing-store is turned off in your
> Xserver... ;-/

Well if that is what Debian does by default, then maybe... but are you
really saying that a well tuned Xorg desktop can be as snappy as XP
(with the classic theme)?  Maybe this was the case a few years ago when
the typical X desktop was full of pixellated ugly fonts.  But since
antialiasing became common the performance took a dive.  Keep in mind MS
has been doing antialiasing for a long time and it does not seem to kill
the performance to nearly the same degree.

I am not saying it's impossible, and I appreciate all the good work on
the Xorg project... but I will believe it when I see it.

Lee