code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Nov 1 07:17:33 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 07:49 +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Z Smith wrote:
> >Or join me in my effort to limit bloat. Why use an X server
> >that uses 15-30 megs of RAM when you can use FBUI which is 25 kilobytes
> >of code with very minimal kmallocing?
>
> FBUI does not have 3d acceleration?

Um I don't think chucking X is the answer.  The problem is that it's
embarassingly slow compared to any modern GUI.  If the display were as
snappy as WinXP I don't care if it's 200MB.  On my desktop I constantly
see windows redrawing every freaking widget in situations where XP would
just blit from an offscreen buffer or something.

Anyway please keep replies off LKML and on the Xorg list...

Lee