[Xorg] savage Driver issue

Jean-Yves Girard GIRARDJY at fr.ibm.com
Sat May 29 02:36:08 PDT 2004

Option "XaaNoMono8x8PatternFillRect" "Off" fixes the problems.

Note that this option was specified at
http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html for a Citrix problem as well.

So, I can use xorg, dri works  and my powerpoint problems disappeared. Big
thanks !

Alex Deucher <agd5f at yahoo.com>
05/28/04 10:52 PM

Jean-Yves Girard/France/IBM at IBMFR, xorg at freedesktop.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Xorg] savage Driver issue

--- Jean-Yves GIRARD <girardjy at fr.ibm.com> wrote:

> I tested XF 4.3.99.902 and xorg 6.7 [0-0.1.5mdk] with my T23 ( S3
> Inc.
> SuperSavage IX/C SDR rev 5).
>
> Both savage drivers seems to be at the same level 1.1.27a but I met
> some video
> problems when running powerpoint with CodeWeaver CrossOffice (wine)
> with xorg
> only.  [black box appears from the corner screen to the cursor
> position when
> i insert text into a powerpoint text box, for example]
>
> This problem used to exist with XF 4.2, 4.3 but disappeared with  XF
> 4.3.99.902.   It is still there with xorg.  On the other hand, latest
> dri
> snapshot (http://www.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/) works well with
> xorg
> only.  And when I installed this dri savage driver snapshot on XF
> 4.4, the
> problem described above appears again.
>
> I am not an X expert at all and cannot help more, however i think
> that if the
> issue is not there in XF 4.4, it can be removed from xorg.

I've never seen or heard of this problem myself, however, I did much of
the work on the DRI version of the savage DDX.  It's basically Tim's
1.1.27 driver with some bits from S3 and Xfree86's DDXes plus a bunch
of stuff I added.  Also the DRI version uses a tiled framebuffer
(needed for 3d) while the xorg and xfree86 versions use a linear fb.
It may be an XAA problem or perhaps an issues with the way the bitmap
descriptors are setup (just guesses).  If it is XAA, see if you can
narrow down the problem to a specific XAA function.  To do this try the
XXNo... options in your device config.  see the xorg.conf og XF86Config
man pages for more.

Alex

http://messenger.yahoo.com/