"public NFS" on freedesktop.org ? / was: Re: [Xorg] Anon Ftponfreedesktop.org?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu May 27 08:33:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 20:16, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> > And non-Linux OSes can handle WebDAV fine. I have personally dealt with
> > WebDAV on OS X and Windows, where it worked seamlessly, and on Linux,
> > AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris, and FreeBSD, where the userspace tools made
> > it as easy as FTP.
>
> Only applications based on these toolkits can use WebDAV, the shell
> can't AFAIK. I really won't call that "transparent"...

You're looking for LUFS.  This is linux-specific, though.  This type of
transparency that you are looking for would have to be OS-specific,
anyway.  Otherwise it would just be a toolkit level thing, which we have
established is already widely used (gnome-vfs, kioslaves).

There is even a project to enable the use of KDE ioslaves via LUFS so
that all apps can access weird file systems through the standard file
system (mounts).

Michael

--
Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu>