[Xorg] X.org

Matthew Walton matthew at alledora.co.uk
Wed May 26 03:48:13 PDT 2004

igodit at the31337.org wrote:
> I tried to install X.org based on this installation guide
> http://freedesktop.org/Software/XserverInstallGuide
>
> Once it was finished I got back my prompt, how do i start X.org?
>
> I visted your FAQ and saw that you the command was
> #X
> and
> #X -configure
> to configure it.
>
> but X.org does not seem to be installed. I'm trying to do an install from
> Source now. Please tell me the start command for X.org. And if possible
> why didn't it install from CVS

The guide you followed is not for the X.org server as in the one which
was released as X.org 6.7.0 recently. You have instead installed the
freedesktop.org Xserver, which is the modular server with the Composite
extension (among other things), and which is probably not what you
wanted. If it is what you wanted, this particular X implementation
creates several binaries depending on which graphics system you want to
use. These have names like Xvesa to use a VESA graphics card, Xfbdev to
use the framebuffer device, Xati to use an ATI graphics card, Xnvidia
etc. The configuration system is also quite different and probably not
documented. Note that this is not a production quality server yet!

There doesn't appear to be a CVS build guide for X.org's server, but you
may find http://www.freedesktop.org/XOrg/CvsPage useful. I would suspect
some poking in the CVS tree would reveal how to build it, although I'm
no expert and tend to stay as clear of building the monolithic X
distribution as I can (I let Gentoo Linux do it for me).

Hope that helps.