"public NFS" on freedesktop.org ? / was: Re: [Xorg] Anon Ftp onfreedesktop.org?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue May 25 15:34:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 09:28:02PM +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > ? So far this isn't more dangerous that WebDAV. And WebDAV isn't an
> > > option since non-Linux OSes can't handle it (and WebDAV isn't "secure"
> > > either).
> >
> > Nonsense.  OS X and Windows both make use of WebDAV, KDE and GNOME both
> > offer user-space VFS access to WebDAV, and other OSes have either their
> > own user-space drivers for WebDAV or third-party utilities to access it.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong - you are talking about toolkit-specific
> filesystem emulations, right ? I doubt the shell can access those
> filesystems...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cadaver+webdav&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky

Not hot air about what you could theoretically do, the actual use for
this stuff is ... downloading files. That's about it. If you wanted to
do more, WebDAV could easily accommodate that. But we don't *need* to do
more.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org