[Xorg] really slow X performance with Radeon 7200

Anthony DiSante orders at nodivisions.com
Tue May 25 00:41:17 PDT 2004

Jaymz Julian wrote:

>>>It should eb pointed out at this juncture that there are three types
>>>of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Benchmarks (I forget whom I stole that
>>>from).
>>>
>>>	-- jaymz
>>
>>Without the supporting details, some of these benchmarks certainly aren't
>>worth any more than lies...
>
> My point is, the question "is my desktyop responsive" is far more important
> than "how fast can I blit",. and that the two questions are usually not even
> vaugely related (no, they're not.

Actually, the proper question is "can I run the applications I'd like to."
It would be preposterous to claim FPS and blit rate are "usually not even
vaguely related" to whether a person can run a graphics-intensive
application satisfactorily.  (But since your initial question was different,
perhaps you weren't claiming that.)

I have several 3D screensavers (mostly from rss-glx), some of which run
smoothly, but some of which are jerky.  I also have problems with jerkyness
and CPU utilization in xawtv/tvtime, and according to the author of tvtime,
my throughput to X is less than half of what it should be.

I'd say there's a strong correlation between my performance problems and my
throughput to X / FPS / blit rate, and I suspect that if I can get those
specs into their proper ranges, there's a good chance my performance
problems will be fixed.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/