[Xorg] Re: Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Mon May 24 12:15:01 PDT 2004

Andy Ritger wrote:

> The other concern (how to make sure direct rendering has completed
> by the time the drawable is used as a source in a composite
> operation) conceptually would be solved as you describe, but I
> expect the implementation would be buried deeper

I guess I don't see what the problem is.  The graphics device processes
commands as a FIFO.  Groups of direct rendering commands are surrounded
by a lock.  If the compositor uses the same lock, synchronization and
proper ordering are guaranteed.

Determining if direct rendering has damaged a region is another kettle
of fish, though...