[Xorg] Using 'radeon' _and_ 'ati-drivers' together

Christian Hoenig me at christianhoenig.de
Mon May 24 05:33:54 PDT 2004

Hi,

yesterday I switched from xfree to the current X.org release. I was hoping to
get any better results for my setup.

I have a Radeon 9600pro and a Matrox Mystique running a tripple head setup.
For normal usage i use the 'radeon' driver to power xfree in xinerama mode
without 3D acceleration. Since xinerama and 3D acceleration are mutual
exclusives using Linux I used to simply start a second X server without
xinerama to get 3D acceleration. This was during my days before the Radeon
(when I had a Matrox G400).

Since the ati-driver does not work with xinerama, and since the radeon driver
(dri stuff) coming with xorg/xfree does not support 3D at all with that kind
of cards (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd like to start a seconde x server
using the binary ati-driver.  This kindof works in one direction (starting
the ati-driver powered xserver) but as soon as I switch back, I get my first
head of the radeon totally corrupted. A restart of X does not fix this.

Is there any chance to do a reset or to get that fixed from the side of x.org?

I will contact the ati-guys to get clarification concerning the bug using
xinerama with their driver (which in detail is that the mouse can be moved
(and seen) like it should, but the image behind the mouse on head 2 (i.e. the
desktop) is only a clone of the image of head1).

Thanks for any help :-)

take care, have fun
/christian

P.S.: If any logs or other infos are required, I'll post them later!