[Xorg] Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue May 18 10:39:42 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 13:28, mcnichol at austin.ibm.com wrote:

> Please pardon my ignorance on this subject, but this > discussion
> raises the question in my mind about why the composition manager
> is a client, rather than being part of the Xserver.
>
> Is there a write up on this somewhere?

The short answer is that this permits arbitrary experimentation with what sort of eye candy or other more
serious uses, without compositing policy being hardwired
into the base window system, where it is much harder to
change.

The best descriptions this instant are:

http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/fosdem2004/X-fosdem2004.html
http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/screenshots/
http://freedesktop.org/~jg/X-rearchitecture.pdf

Keith and I just finished up a longer version of
the X-rearchitecture.pdf document as a paper for OLS that
should appear in those proceedings.
                  - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>