[Xorg] Re: Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon May 17 10:08:01 PDT 2004

On Llu, 2004-05-17 at 18:49, Keith Packard wrote:
> Composite doesn't really expose things in a way that would make this
> hardware capability usable.
>
> Instead, it expects the video to be painted into the window pixmap so that
> those pixels can be composed to form the screen image.

For Xv that seems to involve working server side GL and using GL to
take Xv data (as a texture) and putting it to the video visible buffer.
I've been looking at exactly this for Voodoo2 although I'm still trying
to get the 3D init code right (its nasty stuff)

For DRI it does sound like the backbuffer->frontbuffer draw becomes a
compositor task.