[Xorg] Re: Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 11:02:43 PDT 2004

--- Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> wrote:

> Around 9 o'clock on May 17, Alex Deucher wrote:
>
> > Many video overlays support alpha blending with the graphics layer,
> > it's just that support was never implemented since xfree86 never
> > supported it.
>
> Composite doesn't really expose things in a way that would make this
> hardware capability usable.
>
> Instead, it expects the video to be painted into the window pixmap so
> that
> those pixels can be composed to form the screen image.

Sorry for my composite ignorance.  Couldn't we just have Xv ignore
composite and just use the video engine's native blending abilities to
blend video with the graphics layer?  or add composite "support" to Xv
by just passing it the required gamma value and letting the hardware
take care of the rest?