[Xorg] Re: Damage/Composite + direct rendering clients

Alex Deucher agd5f at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 09:12:04 PDT 2004

--- Andy Ritger <aritger at nvidia.com> wrote:

[snip]

> - A Video Overlay Xv Adaptor is obviously fundamentally incompatible
>   with Damage/Composite.  Should X drivers no longer advertise
>   Video Overlay Xv adaptors if they are running in an X server that
>   includes Composite support?

Many video overlays support alpha blending with the graphics layer,
it's just that support was never implemented since xfree86 never
supported it.  I wrote a patch for radeon a while back.  As I recall,
it should also be possible with r128 and savage hardware, although I
haven't tested on those chips as of yet. it may also be possible on
other chips.
radeon patch:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/Xv/xv_alpha/radeon_xvalpha.diff

OT: radeon patch that enables Xv gamma correction:
http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/Xv/xv_gamma/radeon_video_gamma.diff

Alex