[Xorg] Failed to load module "speedo"

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Mon May 17 07:31:37 PDT 2004

Alan Coopersmith writes:
 > Roland Mainz wrote:
 > > I am not sure why the "speedo" thing is still listed in the module
 > > config... if you want that to be removed: File bug, assign to me... :)
 >
 > The module list generated by xorgconfig is unfortunately hardcoded in
 > the source.   Use 'Xorg -configure' to generate a config file with the
 > correct current list of modules.

Right. -configure is a quick and dirty way to create a config file.
The alternative would have been to have a 'meta'-config file.
I've already replaced xtt by freetype before we did the release.
We should take a look at the rest of the modules listed there, too.
Since freetype can now handle everything except CID fonts we can
probably drop most of the other font modules, too.
People have been suggesting to compile freetype into the server
and not bother about other font renderers (at least when CID support
is done in freetype).
I assume this will make people unhappy who want to use proprietary
font renderers.
On the other hand, with doing aa fonts on client side such renderers
would have to plug into freetype instead to be of any use for this
purpose.

Cheers,
	Egbert.