[Xorg] Reorganizing the xc/include directory

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Fri May 14 02:41:04 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > The biggest difference between the monolithic build and the modular build
 > is how the shared include files are managed.  To successfully create a
 > system which can build either way, we need to migrate from the current
 > structure to one which can support both build systems.
 >
 > I think that's easy these days.  I don't think the monolithic build refers
 > to files from that directory when compiling stuff; instead, the files are
 > "installed" during the 'make includes' phase into exports/include/X11
 > where other parts of the system can find them.
 >
 > Given that, I suggest we create sub-directories within xc/include to hold
 > each logical package of headers as seen in the modular build.  We can then
 > create new Imakefiles and get things building again.  Once that's done, we
 > can integrate the automake-based files into those same directories and get
 > them also building that way.
 >
 > Does this make sense?  Anyone see problems or have concerns with this?

To me it appears to make a lot of sense.
The exports include directory is in the path already.
It may make sense to add subdirectories for the extensions
etc. so that exports/ has pretty much the same structure as
/usr/include/X11.
I assume that you are planning to create a 'base package' that
holds all those include files that don't belong to a particular
project but contain stuff common to all X servers, clients and
apps. So that would contain the rest of xc/include/. It may be
a good idea to link that also to exports.

Egbert.