[Xorg] excessive bounces or excessive spam / viruses?

Daniel Kasak dan at enthalpy.homelinux.org
Fri May 14 00:51:09 PDT 2004

I have a mimedefang / spamassassin / clam antivirus / sendmail setup on
my gateway.
I bounce viruses and spam.
I understand that some people don't agree with the decision to bounce
viruses, however I think silently dropping them is a worse idea still.
Bouncing viruses at least keeps the threat of viruses currnet in
people's mind - and that can't be a bad thing. If people object to
receiving virus bounce messages, then they can filter them :)

I find it hard to believe that anyone would disagree with bouncing spam.

Now, every so often ( pretty often these days ) I get a message from the
mailing list server saying that my account has been disabled due to
excessive bounces. To that I respond, I must have received excessive
viruses & spam. A quick check of my logs confirms this.

How about either loosening the rules on the excessive bounces, or
implementing some decent filtering to prevent viruses & spam from being
passed through? I have a lot of kids running around here, and
advertisements for penis enlargements and objectionable porn is not
appropriate ... coming through ANY of our email accounts ( hence the
filter ).

Dan