[Xorg] Laptop, KN400 chipset, poor video !

jonathan schaeffer jschaeff at ccimap.in2p3.fr
Thu May 13 00:30:55 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've got an ACER Aspire 1353LC and I experiment  lots of problems with
it's configuration under linux. Let's talk about the video card.
With XFree86 4.3 (or 4.4), the vesa drivers supports my chipset (via
kn/km 400). I've read that v4.4 has via drivers that support it pretty
well, so I started compiling an XFree4.4. Everythig worked but I had a
max of 75 fps with glxgears instead of 100 with vesa drivers.
glxinfo said ther was no Direct Rendering, but the via_dri.so is in the
right directory (/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/)

Finally I tried the Xorg packages. They installed pretty well but the
libs (LibGL.*) files are not stored in the same directory as thes libs
from XFree86.

Curently, I'm runnig Xorg. It's possible that I made something wrong.
Did someone experiment those problems ? Can someone help me ?

Another annoising problem I've got, is that the latop LCD screen does
not get over 1024x768 resolution...  though it's a 15'' TFT LCD screen.

Thanx !