[Xorg] DocBook SGML/XML manual pages...

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Thu May 6 02:38:09 PDT 2004

Keith Packard writes:

 > Around 0 o'clock on May 6, Roland Mainz wrote:
 >
 > > Does anyone know if there is already a way to handle Unix manual pages
 > > in DocBook/{SGML|XML} format ? There are now a couple of DocBook manual
 > > pages in the tree and I'd like to add more, but IMHO we need some
 > > official way to handle such stuff then...
 >
 > I don't think there are imake rules to handle docbook files.  However, we
 > should start incorporating the autotool build files into the X.Org tree,
 > and we should certainly find a way to deal with docbook files in that
 > environment.
 >
 > Egbert suggested that perhaps we might like to create a common set of
 > autotool macros for us to share across multiple modules; perhaps rules for
 > docbook would be a good candidate for inclusion in that module.

That is certainly true. And it will convince me that we will not
loose a feature that I found very importand in Imake ;-)
However we should also proceed with our discussions about a future
documentation standard. If we add files now and agree on a different
standard in the future we will have to do more conversions than we
already have to do now.

Egbert.