[Xorg] Re: 64-bit applications and hostnames that start with a digi

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Mar 25 07:10:19 PST 2004

Hey, I said I was rusty on ABNF :-).

Fundamentally, the test should be that a string conforms to
a literal address string completely to be recognized as that,
and failing that, as a host name.

Hmmm...  I'm pretty sure there are some URI parsers out there
that do full proper parsing of these strings we could use,
rather than building one from scratch.

                   - Jim

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 09:42, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> Jim Gettys writes:
> > An extract from RFC 2396 "Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic
> > Syntax"'s ABNF is:
> >
> >  The host is a domain name of a network host, or its IPv4 address as a
> >   set of four decimal digit groups separated by ".".  Literal IPv6
> >   addresses are not supported.
> >      hostport      = host [ ":" port ]
> >      host          = hostname | IPv4address
> >      hostname      = *( domainlabel "." ) toplabel [ "." ]
> >      domainlabel   = alphanum | alphanum *( alphanum | "-" ) alphanum
> >      toplabel      = alpha | alpha *( alphanum | "-" ) alphanum
> >      IPv4address   = 1*digit "." 1*digit "." 1*digit "." 1*digit
> >      port          = *digit
> >
> > My ABNF is getting a bit rusty, and I've never been great at
> > grokking ABNF notation: folks, please check me here.
> >
> > Hosts can be either hostname's or IPv4 address strings.
> > I think the toplabel requires that the first character be alpha, and
> > not a number.
>
> toplabels are, e.g.: "com", "org", "net", "biz", etc.
>
> domainlabels, as you can see above, start with an alphanum, e.g. "18004memory" (that's the number '1' (one), not the letter 'l')
>
> e.g. http://18004memory.com/
>
> --
>
> Kaleb

Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>