[Xorg] X.org CVS branches need to change

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Mar 16 11:50:45 PST 2004

Around 18 o'clock on Mar 16, Egbert Eich wrote:

> One thing we have never talked about is code review.
> I'd feel a little nervous if everybody is allowed
> to work directly in the trunk adding unreviewed code.

It would be nice to see a culture of peer review inculcated in the
community.  I'm not sure I see us able to instantiate a policy on the
matter though.  As with branching, I'd like to encourage people to ask
questions about practice and procedures for making non-trivial changes in
the code base.

> If this will not produce security concnerns it may
> introduce inconsistency as people may not have the
> experience on how things are handled and what functions
> exist.

That's one of the main reasons I will be doing development only in the
modular environment; each developer there gets to see a stable world aside
from their own piece, updates to external packages happen only when they
have reached a stable point and have been tested to ensure some modest
level of compatibility.

In either case, it's hard to find people interested and able to evaluate
every patch that goes into a system as large as X, especially if that
process is seen as burdensome on overall development.  Having developers
identify patches to critical parts of the system, or which are non-obvious
in some way and getting those looked at by someone else would be a good
start.

-keith