[Xorg] Re: CVS access policy, branching/tagging, code review, etc.

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kaleb at shiman.com
Tue Mar 2 12:17:34 PST 2004

(Please move this discuss to the xorg at freedesktop.org list)

John Dennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 13:38, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>
>>>Perhaps a 'shared' branch could be formed for people who want to ignore
>>>the release and just keep working?
>>
>>Yes, the shared branch is called (XORG)-CURRENT.
>

> Could you please differentiate a branch labeled CURRENT from HEAD (e.g.
> mainline). Why would you have a CURRENT branch as opposed to HEAD?

I need to resurrect the email I sent describing this repository when I
set it up.

Basically it follows the model that the BSD developers use. -CURRENT is
the bleeding edge branch with some risk that -CURRENT may not build for
short periods of time.

When everyone agrees (and -CURRENT builds) -CURRENT is merged to
-STABLE. This is called MFC or Merge From Current.

In principle, lots of commits happen on -CURRENT, few happen on -STABLE,
and even fewer on the head of the tree.

Releases are tagged on the HEAD, and branches from the HEAD are made to
do fixes to a particular release.

--

Kaleb