[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 11:44:39 PDT 2004

--- Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net> wrote:
> > While currently it is not possible to run multiple X servers on the
> > same system (multi seat) it might well be in the future. In this
> > case it must be made sure that only one of these servers connects
> > the device and that after a replug the same server gets the device
> > reassigned.
>
> Yeah, that's a good point.  The discovery mechanism should remember
> which server to add the device to.

This needs to be part of a bigger design, probably using udev. fbdev
has the same problem and we don't want to build two parallel systems
for assigning devices.

One solution would be to tag device with a console id in udev.conf --
console 0, 1, 2, etc and assign each xserver a console id too. The
hotplug program could then match the device to the correct xserver.
Instead of making up console ids you could use the dri device number.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com