[Xorg] debrix

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Tue Jun 29 07:14:53 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:17:07AM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >Sure we can.
>
> If we can then no problem. Pitty I know too litle (yet) to make it work.
> You don't know of any papers covering the module loader stuff, do you?
> Only RTFSourceCode?

As XFree86Loader is defined, the ModuleRec exists. It's pretty much
UTSL, except there are a couple of documents floating around on the
XFree86 4.x design somewhere that IIRC cover the loader.

> >Hm, interesting ... or not.
> >
> >That makes sense, because vgaHWInit will make the module pointer, which
> >will reference almost every other vgahw symbol.
>
> But it seems it doesn't really care which symbol I export. Event the
> most stupid ones (like xf86int10Addr in int10/generic.c) will force
> everything to go.

Odd, but cool.

> >Cleanliness is next to godliness. Also, the variable interdependency
> >thing: the nv driver doesn't really work otherwise. Ditto fbdev.
>
> I'm just not sure which is more clean - small binary + many modules or
> one big binary.

To me, the idea of having it install as few things as possible is
immensely attractive.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org