[Xorg] Input device hotplug

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Tue Jun 29 03:08:26 PDT 2004

Egbert Eich wrote:
> Keith Packard writes:
>  >
>  > Around 19 o'clock on Jun 23, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kristian_H=F8gsberg?= wrote:
>  >
>  > > The overall design I'm thinking of is to keep the device discovery
>  > > mechanism out of the X server.
>  >
>  > I think that's probably the right design.
>
> Provided it is generic and not X specific.

The main idea behind keeping the discovery mechanism out of the server
was that different systems can use different mechanisms.  On GNOME or
KDE desktops I think it would make good sense to use HAL for detection
(which is generic and system-wide), but an embedded system may well want
to use something more lean.

Also, by moving the mechanism to an X client daemon, you can implement
desktop specific policy in the daemon. For example, in the GNOME
environment you could have a daemon that reads per user settings for
input devices from GConf.

>  > > One thing I'ld like to discuss is where to add the add and remove device
>  > > interface
>  >
>  > I'd like to think this belongs in the XInput extension.  There are other
>  > changes which we can add to that extension at the same time and rev the
>  > protocol version.  Coding up backward-compatibility stuff will also be
>  > necessary; take a look at how XFixes manages that (client sends its
>  > version number, X server ensures protocol is compatible with that version).
>  >

> When we do this we should try to fix other issues with the XInput
> extension. It's a while back since I've looked at it but there are
> some things that immediately strike ones eyes just reading the specs.

Do you remember what specifically was the problem?  I was thinking of
adding a link to a new XInput page in the "Development" section on
http://freedesktop.org/XOrg, is that okay?  We could use that for
collecting the suggestions that come up.

Kristian