[Xorg] debrix

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Mon Jun 28 08:13:10 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 05:09:30PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:

> >>PS. You sleep? Or eat? Or do anything else time-consuming? Every time I
> >>write an e-mail you answer in less than 10 minutes. :D How are you doing
> >>this? I'm impressed. ;-)
> >
> >It's been a while since I slept, but I was just in the middle of making
> >these really nice sausage rolls. Real fat beefy sausages, gutted for the
> >meat, with basil and lots of other spices, and real cracked pepper, and
> >a bit of real beef stock. Unfortunately the filo pastry is crap, I
> >think. Maybe it'll work OK. We'll see.
>
> I hope it worked. If not you will be in bad mood. :D

Yeah, the filo was stuffed, and I have to start again.

> >I think it's been almost an hour since you posted. How's that? :)
>
> I don't recall saying I'm unhappy with you reply time. :D

I was just pointing out that it's not quite ten minutes. Sometimes I do
other things!

> I was playing a bit more with the source and found out:
>
> - ati tries to load fbdevhw and fails. when i comment out
>   radeon_driver.c:3991 it complains about missing vgaHWGetHWRec.
>   'nm Xorg | grep vga' displays nothing.
>   I don't really understand why symbols from scanpci are exported and
>   those from vgahw aren't... They look identical to me (If they were we
>   could just remove the line 3991 from radeon_driver or change
>   xf86LoadSubModule so it would return TRUE for builtin modules)

It's because unused symbols are garbage-collected; to prevent this
happening, put SYMFUNC(foo), or SYMVAR(foo) in loader/xf86sym.c,
depending on whether it's a function or variable.

> - when I remove the pcidata from the baseModules list
>   (hw/xorg/common/xf86Init.c:120) it catches SIGSEGV in
>   x86pciBus.c:1732 - xf86SetupPciIds == NULL.
>   It seems to work when we remove the conditional build (that is:
>   sed -ie '1712,1723d;1730d;' x86pciBus.c)

pcidata needs to be a module, probably. Or retain all of its symbols.

> Is there any use in me playing with this apart from learning (that's me)
> and loosing time (that's you)? :) I would love to help and learn
> something new (I've only played with simpler C programs before) but
> maybe it is not the right moment for this?

Sure - hopefully it'll be *the* new X server. Doesn't seem like the
worst way to get into X development, either. :)

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org