[Xorg] debrix

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sun Jun 27 13:41:01 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:35:06PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C?apa wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 10:18:43PM +0200, Jakub Piotr C??apa wrote:
> >>Cool. :) Same problem with 'fb' (it can be mistaken for fbdev).
> >
> >Thanks for the catch. Maybe it's worth renaming r128/atimisc/radeon to
> >ati-r128/ati-atimisc/ati-radeon or such, and then symlinking the old
> >names for compatibility?
>
> Maybe. Tha main problem is Xorg binary loading sth as a driver without
> complaining about it not being a driver. :D It should be checked somehow
> IMHO. A list of display drivers + compatibile hardware (better - PCI
> ids) would also be cool. (or is it actually done in -configure? tt also
> failed for me)

Hm, interesting. I suppose we could error out if there's no relevant
DriverRec in the module we explicitly requested. I think
radeon/r128/whatever have an output DriverRec, tho.

That list would be really, really long, BTW. And I don't think there's
any standard interface to get all the PCI IDs.

> >It's not turned off, it's just currently built as a module
> >(libfbdevhw.la: lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfbdevhw.la, vs noinst_LIBRARIES =
> > libfbdevhw.a, and linked into the final binary).
>
> Don't understand the difference (yet) but AFAIR fbdev is complaining
> about missing fbdevhw.

Right. What happens is that you can't have module A depending on a
*variable* in module B, only a function. So if module A needs a variable
from module B, that just won't work - it has to be hidden behind a
function. In this case, fbdev/nv need variables from fbdevhw and xaa, so
fbdevhw and xaa can't be built as modules - they need to be built in to
the binary.

That's the executive summary.

> >>Btw. My last e-mail ought to go to the list (and the previous one as
> >>well). Are you sure Reply-to should be considered harmful? :D
> >
> >Pretty sure, yep. I use group reply by default.
>
> So I have to change the way I'm used to use my e-mail program. (groups
> I'm most active on set the Reply-To header) :D

Ah, sorry. That was the way fd.o was set up, and the way I'm used to - I
don't really want to change it, personally. ;)

Cheers!
-d

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>