[Xorg] Detecting server version?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Fri Jun 18 18:19:19 PDT 2004

Charles Goodwin <charlie at vexi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 16:16 -0700, Kendall Bennett wrote:
> > No response to my question? I would like to find out what we should do
> > before we ship our product ;-)
>
> I really don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the version number
> will be revved with each release, even if it's only revved to 6.7.x it
> definitely will change.  How can you have two releases against the same
> version number?  That's just illogical.  Jim.

That would be my thinking also. However if the versioning system is going
to be three digits rather than two (ie: next release is 6.7.1), then my
code will have to be adapted to expect three digits in the version
number.

Personally I prefer the three digit system so the next release should be
6.7.1, but if a new version is completed that is big enough to warrant a
change to 6.8, it should be 6.8.0 rather than 6.8 (otherwise my scripts
will get rather confused!).

Hence the reason I am asking ;-)

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~