[Xorg] Projects suggestions

Ely Levy elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Jun 18 04:02:34 PDT 2004

Hey,
It seems that next release is going to be an highlighted one,
and I thought we should use it to promote few community projects
which would hopefully help to bring more users/developers to the project.
The idea is project which doesn't take expert programmers and can help new
people finding their way.

1)Doc project
   Creating and maintaining docs, translating docs to diffrent langauges
   Making howtos and newbie guides (like a newbie guy for X configuration
   could be highly helpfull). helping in ordering the wiki and faqs so
   people could find help solving their problems.

2)Forum
   Yea, a support forum for X, its proven itself to be highly usefull
   in creating a community in various projects. Users/Developers help each
   other, and more than a few people find it nicer than mailing lists.

3)Xjanitor
   For new developers this is the sort of project that would help them
   learn about the code while contributing to its general look.
   Things like ansifying the code, going over it finding bugs or bad
   looking functions and even more importent building a doxygen like
   system, now that would help even more experianced developers finding
   things around, no?If there would be a coding style guide (whcih could
   be nice), making sure the code keep them might also be part of this
   project.I'm sure even more ideas would come along.

4)Binary contributers
   Nothing much to explain about this one, IMOH we should have binaries
   released with every release, there are many platforms and dist we might
   want to support, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who would agree
   to contribute cpu cycles for making packages, and testing them.
   So while the actuall making of the deb or rpm or so might take someone
   who knows his way around, the actuall building might be done by people
   from the community. I don't know if the various linux/BSD dists would
   want to participate, but I have a feeling some of them read this list;)

Comments?:)

Ely Levy
System group
Hebrew University