[Xorg] Introduce DRI_VERSION?

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Thu Jun 17 10:34:48 PDT 2004

Jens Owen wrote:
>>> Thomas,
>>>
>>> Versioning has always been a tricky issue for DRI developers, and
>>> consequently keeping version numbering simple and up to date is
>>> important.
>>>
>>> I'd encourage you to considering using/enhancing the existing DRI and
>>> DRM versioning.  For example, I'm wondering if the runtime version
>>> already built into DRM would help.  It could be extended to use
>>> compile time #define's in places where we currently hard code
>>> constants, for example in drmGetLibVersion it looks like the minor
>>> version was just bumped to 2.  The source for the linux version of
>>> this example be seen at:
>>>
>>>   xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/os-support/linux/drm/xf86drm.c
>>>

>> Jens, thanks for your response.
>>
>> Just to avoid a misunderstanding: This version definition is not meant
>> as an ABI/API/whatever number; I'd just need that for compilation
>> reasons.
>>
>> If it is complicated for the DRI folks, why not keep such a version
>> #definition in the x.org tree which is updated each time a merge from
>> the DRI tree happens?
>>
>> For example, in xf86drm.h just add
>>
>> #define DRI_DATE 20040616
>>
>> That would solve my particular problem quite easily. The name of the
>> #define is entirely up to you... choose freely. The date format should
>> be in a form suitable for comparison.
>>
>> That isn't too much work, is it?
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> Thomas,
>
> Adding the define is easy, what's difficult is cleaning up these little
> hacks later without breaking binary compatability.

Again: What I suggest has nothing to do with binary compatibility. It is
just for compiling one and the same DDX code with different DRI
versions. However, I understand that this is something not many would
need. Perhaps I am just too kind to people stuck with Debian stable
(XFree86 4.1)...? ;)

 > As Keith W.
> suggested earlier this week, there is a good chance the X portion of the
> DRI development could end up in the X.org project.  What would you set
> the DRI_DATE string to then?

Erm.... got me, didn't consider that.

> Perhaps it's time to bump the XORG_VERSION_CURRENT string to
> differentiate between the last release of X.org and the next.  Would
> that help you?

Yes, sure.

Thomas

--