[Xorg] xserver undefined symbol: BuiltinRegisterFpefunctions

Cameron hiryu at audioseek.net
Thu Jun 17 10:25:42 PDT 2004

I have exactly the same trouble. What video card and kernel are you running?
I was wondering if it was 2.6 related because when it seemed to work before, I
was running 2.4. Though I haven't tried 2.4 again.

Here is the response I got:

"It probably has something to do with your VESA bios not responding
correctly when queried for modes. I have the same issue with an entirely
unrelated video card, and traced it down to the VESA mode enumeration
function. Since almost all of the KDrive drivers use VESA for
initialization on some level, a card with a slightly-different BIOS
than the VESA routines expect causes a hang.

I still don't have a fix though, mainly due to time constraints. Once, the
VESA routines worked after several sleep/wake cycles on a laptop, as if
some random register got set to the right value, but I couldn't reproduce
it.

  - Brent"

On Thursday 17 June 2004 5:38 am, stratos at zeelandnet.nl wrote:
> I've compiled xserver with the compiling script, but when i want to launch
> one of the servers he switches the screen and then simply hangs.
> keyboard and mouse input simply do not work. CTRL+ALT+backspace doesnt do
> a thing.
> (although when i login remote and start up another X server the screen
> will go to that one and evrything is alright again.)
>
> when i start up Xfake it gives the following error.
> ./Xfake: relocation error: ./Xfake: undefined symbol:
> BuiltinRegisterFpeFunctions
>
> when googling on that i found this thread
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/xserver/2004-May/001387.html
>
> his problem matches mine to the letter, but since no answer was born out
> of that thread, very helpfull it was not.
>
> does anyone know a answer to this? i used to be able to use the xserver
> but that was now months ago.

"A dream to some... A NIGHTMARE TO OTHERS!"