[Xorg] New committer process?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jun 14 09:37:09 PDT 2004

Around 11 o'clock on Jun 14, Egbert Eich wrote:

> I've tried to take into account discussions we had previously on this and
> other lists. Please note that this is only a draft and should serve as an
> RFC. I'm not aware of any comments so far.

Let's have a few comments then.

Given that CVS is completely insecure (anyone with write access can damage
or destroy the repository), I suggest that we need some minimal process for
granting write access.

I don't know what form this should take though; the proposal for
'sponsorship' has a lot of benefits, but does tend to shut out people who
are new on the scene.  We might also consider granting access in some kind
of incremental fashion; with early access limited to 'less sensitive'
parts of the tree.  It would also be nice to have some kind of
identification for each committer to prevent spoofed access.

Process sucks.

-keith