[Xorg] DRI merging

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 12:35:20 PDT 2004

--- Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM> wrote:
> But fbdev only covers one of the supported OS'es right?  Xorg runs on the
> BSD's, Solaris, Windows/Cygwin, MacOS X, and many other platforms without
fbdev, so
> it's very premature to say that work on anything else is wasted.

The work that would be wasted is extending the XAA 2D drivers to use the 3D
hardware to accelerate render.

fbdev dependence is a very small part of mesa-solo that I would like to remove.
fbdev is only used to set the video mode and control the cursor. Both of these
of done in user space in the current XFree XAA drivers.

There are three main solutions to mode/cursors problem that no one can agree on:
1) leave fbdev in charge of mode setting and cursor, port it around to other
architectures.
2) copy of the user space code from XFree86 into a standalone library - now you
have to be root to play with the chip.
3) Add a couple of IOCTLs to DRM to support modes/cursors. Do as much of the
work as possible in user space and just pass final register values to the
IOCTLs.

I would like to see #3. I have implemented #3 locally for the radeon but there
is no acceptance for adding it to main DRM drivers.

=====
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at yahoo.com