[Xorg] HALification of xorg/xserver

Leen Toelen leen.toelen at cropdesign.com
Wed Jun 9 04:07:28 PDT 2004

Hi all,

some time ago I found some mails in the xserver list about autodetecting
video cards and getting rid of some parts of the XFree86Config file.
Recently I installed debian (unstable) and got some questions from the
XFree86 installer about refresh rates, video card type, amount of video
memory etc. Now, I am fairly knowledgable about computers, but I believe
that a normal user finds it very hard to answer these questions. Also,
when a user changes a video card, the config file needs to be adapted as
well, otherwise the xserver just won't start.
So my question: is there any work going on to halify the xorg/xserver,
and autodetecxt these settings at runtime, or is the general plan to
stick with the configuration file? It would be great if the
configuration tools just changed the hal keys, and the kernel warns hal
about the video card/mouse/keyboard present, and these are queried when
starting x.

Best regards,
Leen Toelen

confidentiality notice:
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be the subject of
legal professional privilege. It is intended for the authorized use of the individual
or entity addressed. If the receiver or reader of this message is not the intended
recipient,  you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
If this email is received in error, please accept our apologies, delete all copies
from your system, and notify us at cropdesign at cropdesign.com