[Xorg] Dynamic mouse accelaration

Egbert Eich eich at freedesktop.org
Mon Jun 7 08:12:18 PDT 2004

Alex Deucher writes:

 > Why not just include it along with a copy of the GPL?  Some of the
 > other code in X has different licenses. IANAL, but can't different
 > modules with different licenses live together?  Just change the overall
 > X.org license to say "modules are licensed with their respective
 > licenses. see source."  the X.org/xfree86 licenses can continue to have
 > their licneses and new modules can have whatever open source license
 > they want...

I'm not so much for bundeling this with the current X tree.
In a modularized environment we are aiming for such issues
will go away anyway.
However there is a much more interesting problem to resolve:
What it one starts a server with a GPLed mouse driver and
a binary only (lets say) Nvidia driver? Would this be a violation
of the GPL? Who would have committed the license violation?
The user who has started the Xserver? The distributor (provided
there is one) who has bundeled the pieces (or at least has made
it possible to configure the system in such a way that these
drivers are started together?
Before we get into another License discussion I'd rather stay
away from any GPLed driver code altogether. Besides the 2.6 Linux
kernel contains a synaptics driver so for Linux users there is
no real need to use this GPLed X driver.

Egbert.