[Xorg] Difference between xserver and kdrive?

Masik Shmasik manichka at peterlink.ru
Wed Jun 2 18:50:44 PDT 2004

Now things still seem unclear to me. I know that xserver is based on kdrive framework. Kdrive, in turn, is optimized for laptops, embedded
devices, etc. ( That's what I have, laptop ). I was recommended to istall xserver instead of kdrive, but I have no experience in xserver,
but saw kdrive in action. IMO, it is brilliant peace of software based
on size and responsiveness. The argument was that kdrive is not for
desktop. My question is if xserver is enhancement to kdrive? Does anyone
can provide comparision of those two? Very basic. I'm planning to install Firefox and probably couple of other GUI programs. That's all.
For some strange reason I'd like to compile kdrive. The problem is that
I seem can't find sources. Does anyone can point me in a direction
of latest CVS of kdrive?

The second question is if I remove XFree86 and install kdrive, my X
application won't function because of some shared libraries? Do I have
to recompile them after merging kdrive? Please confirm.

Will kdrive ( or xserver, second candidate ) will compile on NetBSD?
I have a dual boot machine with gentoo. Thanks everyone for possible
answers.

Mas.