[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has nomembernamed `find_sbit_image'

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 30 10:15:45 PDT 2004

Around 16 o'clock on Jul 30, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Chisato was following exactly the guidelines that he was given - pretty
> much the ones that you outlined below. Now people suggest to change the
> rules on him because they don't care for his patch and the requirement for
> FreeType 2.1.8 imposes an inconvenience for them.

We certainly want the changes that Chisato has provided to be included in
this release, but we also want to encourage people to use system provided
libraries where possible.

Those two are in conflict here.

I'm more concerned about the system security and stability implications
with having unmanaged versions of the FreeType libraries sitting around on
peoples machines than with making sure every possible new feature of our
system is provided to them.

Therefore, we should strongly encourage system vendors to provide versions
of FreeType sufficient to support the new functionality, and we should
even encourage people downloading X from CVS to use the new libraries, but
we should not force people to upgrade against their better judgement.

That 6.7.0 required 2.1.7 was unfortunate; we had significant time
pressure.  However, 2.1.7 *was* distributed with current Linux versions,
so most people didn't have any trouble with that dependency.

We have an opportunity to avoid that same problem with this release; a
minor change to the code will fall back to the old behaviour for people
insistent on using older FreeType libraries.

-keith