[Xorg] Chromium vs GLX protocol

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 17:41:44 PDT 2004

Slashdot is saying that SGI is going to port their clustered ATI
graphics to Linux in the near future. The SGI page says this code is
based on Chromium. I've read that the network protocol of Chromium is
far better than the GLX protocol, especially in the area of state
management. Does anyone have experience with both protocols and can
comment on how they compare?

If the Chromium protocol really is a lot better would it make sense to
evaluate shifting our focus from GLX to the Chromium protocol? In the
long  run the coming shift to things like X on GL and Glitz may
ultimately move a lot of network traffic from the X protocol to one of
the GL ones. If Chromium is significantly better wouldn't it be wiser
to change the X server GL protocol now rather than later?

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/28/1427228&tid=163&tid=139&tid=103
http://www.sgi.com/visualization/linux.html
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/

=====