[Xorg] anti-x11 response (fwd)

Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. rogelio at smsglobal.net
Wed Jul 28 11:04:28 PDT 2004

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2004-07-29 01:35:27 +0800
 From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. <rogelio at smsglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Xorg] anti-x11 response

On 2004-07-29 01:22:34 +0800 Ely Levy <elylevy-xserver at cs.huji.ac.il>
wrote:

> well we do need to improve the networking to be more efficient
> like they say,
> and I'm not so sure trying to push a unified widget standard is such
> a bad
> idea.
> adding unified unicode/bidi support is not such a bad idea, even if it
> breaks few old programs still moving everything to unicode is
> something
> which must be done at some point. (maybe even in xkb?)
>
> Alpha blending would only be added next release.
> so their anti-x11 thing is not THAT not true..
>

> Ely Levy
> System group
> Hebrew University
> Jerusalem Israel
>

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I was wondering if there are any official or semi-official
>> well-written
>> rebuttals to things like Fresco's "Fresco vs X11" page
>> (http://wiki.fresco.org/FrescoVsX) or the Y-Windows explanation of
>> why
>> X11 is out-dated?  I'm just thinking it'd be nice to have the URL of
>> good write-up to point people to when trying to explain X11 to people
>> that've been brainwashed and believe the misinformation or outright
>> lies
>> certain other projects try to spread.
>>
>>    Thanks,
>> --
>> Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com>
>> AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.

Xorg is going in the right direction but i still find it hard to
understand xserver code to able to do something meanigful. Even if i
have done janitor stuff on my own. Still cant reconcile the theory
with actual implementation. Im beginning to think that trying to
implement my own understanding of the theory and cmparing to the
actual code will yield better understanding.