[Xorg] Implementing "Xv" extension on DDX which don'tsupportit in hardware...

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jul 16 20:25:07 PDT 2004

Around 13 o'clock on Jul 12, Alan Cox wrote:

> It isnt that simple because in many cases the scaling and decoding
> can be a single pass more efficiently. Its hard to gauge without someone
> putting a really good scaler in X (not the X image extension stuff!)

"really good" is an impractical basis for a standard X extension; different
applications make different speed/quality tradeoffs.  The advantage of
hardware overlay scalers is that they (at least in my limited experience)
are significantly better than reasonably performant software (and "free"
from the CPU's perspective).

-keith