[Xorg] How's it building?

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Thu Jul 15 21:23:37 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 21:07, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Eric Anholt wrote:
> > - It would be nice to assign bugs to folks if it's not too hard to find
> > the guilty party (me).
>
> I put you on the cc list, but wasn't sure if I should just outright assign
> it to you.
>
> > - It would be nice if more committers were committing their patches.
> > Often when browsing bugs I say, "but the submitter is a committer, why
> > don't they do it themselves?
>
> I didn't commit this fix since I didn't have the hardware to verify I wasn't
> breaking the driver, and don't have enough experience with the drivers & DRI
> to feel comfortable checking in changes without testing or review.   In areas
> of the code I'm more familiar with, or when it's fairly obvious the fix is
> correct, I generally do commit my fixes.  Perhaps if we started more actively
> using the "request review" feature in the new bugzilla version we could get
> past this hurdle.

I think people suffering from build failures caused by other committers
should be given a significant amount of leeway to fix it as best they
feel they can.  It's cool, though.  The Radeon was a little messier, so
you probably didn't want to try to fix it all anyway.

Certainly in my case at least, just assign when in doubt.  I'll punt if
it's not really for me, and I'll notice it quicker anyway.

Thanks for the bugreports!

Eric Anholt                                eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt at FreeBSD.org