Xserver needs to run as "root" on Linux / was: Re: [Xorg] Server side widgets

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Jul 13 13:03:06 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 15:54, Jon Smirl wrote:

> You need to use special keys that can't be intercepted by an app. An
> app can intercept Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and draw a fake login screen. I
> believe the only keys that can't be intercepted are Ctrl-Alt-Del and
> SysReq. I'm not 100% sure about SysReq.

ctrl-alt-del is currently quite catchable.  it's not uncommon to see
desktops with their WM (or other keybinding handler daemon) set to
launch gnome-session-save --kill or something similar.  (this is, in
fact, exactly how my machine is setup.)  if a kernel-assisted login
system is made, the kernel would also have to be modified to make sure
ctrl-alt-del (or whatever key sequence is chosen) is always only handled
by the kernel.

> =====
> Jon Smirl
> jonsmirl at yahoo.com